Thanks for visiting. If you have additional questions, please feel free to call Customer Service at 800.955.6544
Frequently Asked Questions
How are Fitovers Sunglasses Comparable to Prescription Sunglasses, Clip-Ons, and Photochromic Lenses?
- Frames are light-weight on face
- Stylish designs – hide glasses underneath
- Durable, impact-resistant frame
- Scratch and smudge resistant Polarvue® lenses
- Wrap-around style – Maximum protection for eyes & skin
- All styles have polarized front and side lenses
- All lens options provide 100% UVA/UVB protection
- Frame options without side lenses, if preferred
- Largest selection on the market – 25 styles, 44 frame colors, 8 lens colors
- Affordable prices & many promotions available for extra discounts
- Many options for buying – direct online,locally, or at other online retailers.
What are the Fitover Facts?
1. All fitover sunglass temples/arms should be adjustable.
- FALSE. Adjustable temples require constant adjustment, need to be bent around a person’s ears, and rest on top of the optical frame temples. Not only does this cause discomfort from binding on the optical frame temple, but also pushes the ears outward. Jonathan Paul® has developed a “scout fit” temple which is the best option because Jonathan Paul “Scout Fit” temple arms go straight back and around the back of the head; they don’t interfere with your prescription eyewear frames at all. Contrary to some competitors claims, adjustable temples need to be constantly reshaped or adjusted and become a constant inconvenience to the customer.
2. There are no optical grade fitovers that are trendy or fashionable.
- FALSE. Some manufacturers of fitover sunglasses claim their products are “optical grade”, but unfortunately this doesn’t always hold true. Most suppliers use what’s called TAC Polarized lens material. This material is used in the majority of sunglasses at price points between $10 to $50. The material is manufactured in flat sheets, cut and and heated to bend the material into a concave form. During this process, the optical/prismatic properties become unstable, hence less clarity and more chance of distortion and loss of visual acuity. In contrast, Jonathan Paul® Fitovers set THE market benchmark in Superior Optical Grade fitovers, by offering a casted impact-resistant Polarized Polycarbonate lens, meaning the lenses are molded perfectly to ensure maximum optical clarity with no distortions. In addition to the Superior Optical Grade lenses, Jonathan Paul also offers styles that complement the latest trending eyewear shapes such as cat eye, wayfarer, and aviator…and they are available in an array of beautiful colors. The JP Collections includes over 150 unique styles of hand-painted frames that sport lightweight, flexible TR-90 plastic frames in 44 colors. Why wear something that is purely functional and unattractive, when you can wear fitover sunglasses that encompasses both fashion and function? You can find fashion and function at Jonathan Paul® Fitovers.
3. Other fitover sunglass companies offer over 200 unique styles to choose from.
- FALSE. While other fitover sunglass companies may offer many combinations of frame and lens color options, they usually are calculating this from less than 12 different designs by combining lens colors with basic frame color options within their handful of size styles. These fitover companies offer between 6 and 12 different styles, that are styled like low vision or cataract glasses. On the other hand, Jonathan Paul® has the largest offering of fitover sunglass styles, with 25 unique style options all containing at least 3-6 different frame color options and 2-4 lens color options. This creates over 150 unique fitover sunglass options, in sizes XS to XL and everything in between.
4. Fitover sunglasses with temples that go straight back without curving down provide more comfort than traditional or adjustable temples.
- TRUE. Jonathan Paul® Fitovers are designed with JP Scout Fit Temples meaning that the arms or temples go straight back without curving down and therefore do not interfere with your prescription eyewear frames at all. Adjustable temples can only be worn when the temples are shaped in a curved down position, however this means that the fitover temple must make contact with the prescription glasses underneath. In addition to causing friction and pain, they need to be reshaped or adjusted so often that it can become a constant inconvenience to the customer. This can cause people to end up with ill-fitting sunglasses and a lot of pain from friction on their eyeglass temples. We only offer non-adjustable scout fit temples because they help consumers avoid contact between the fitovers and their glasses and it keeps our selection true to size, as proper fitting fitover sunglasses should stay snug on your head without adjusting the temples.
What are the Health Benefits of Fitovers Sunglasses?
While wearing sunglasses is more of a comfort issue for people who already have Glaucoma, it is a preventative measure for eye diseases like Cataracts and Macular Degeneration.
- Glaucoma is a chronic eye condition in which pressure can cause damage to the optic nerve resulting in vision loss and blindness. This condition can make eyes highly sensitive to light and glare, making sunglasses a go-to for people who suffer from Glaucoma.
- Macular Degeneration (AMD) is the degeneration of the macula, which is responsible for sharp central vision, causing blind spots directly ahead. Like Glaucoma, people with AMD are also very sensitive to light, however, sunglasses are even more important because using them can help prevent the acceleration of the disease.
- A Cataract is a clouding over the lens of one’s eye. UV radiation increases your odds of getting cataracts, making the use of sunglasses an important factor for prevention of cataracts.
- Other UV-related eye problems include:
- Pterygium (when the conjunctiva grows into the cornea)
- Pingueculum (a yellowish bump of tissue on the white of the eye)
- Photokeratitis is a corneal sunburn that’s also known as snow blindness – skiers and snowboarders are particularly vulnerable to this temporary but acutely painful condition.
If you suffer from any of these issues, wearing sunglasses may help you find comfort, prevent acceleration of conditions, or both. Here are some ways Jonathan Paul Eyewear™ can benefit you:
- Polarized Polarvue® lenses – enhance visual acuity to reduce eyestrain and increase contrast
- 100% UVA/UVB protection – featured in all 150 of JP Fitovers styles
- Check the lens tint – The lens tint should block 75-90% of light. All 8 Fitovers lens color options fall within or close to this range with transmittance values ranging from 30-10.56%
- Yellow lenses available – Some lenses can offer enhanced contrast for AMD sufferers and this color lens has been found to be ideal for 90% of eye issues. *Please note: While this color lens may be great for strain relief and light sensitivity relief indoors, it is not recommended for use while driving due to hues of traffic lights.
- Wrap-around frames – As much as 20% of UV light can reach the eyes by coming in through the sides of sunglasses. All Fitovers frames are wrap-around and block light from above and both sides.
- Polycarbonate Mirror Lenses – Not only highly durable material, but the mirror coating on these lenses by Fitovers helps cut visible light and high-glare, providing added protection.
Jonathan Paul® Fitovers Eyewear has you covered from all angles. Since their frames are full coverage, wrap around design, with or without side lenses, you don’t have to worry about sunshine blinding you from above or the sides. Fitovers can be worn with or without prescription glasses and are unisex.
What are Fitover Sunglasses?
Fit Over Sunglasses are sunglasses designed to be worn directly over your prescription glasses.
All of our frames are unisex and you don’t need a special kind of prescription frame to wear with Fitovers Eyewear sunglasses. Our sunglasses are made to fit over any and all prescription frames.
Fitovers Eyewear has 25 distinct shapes and sizes to choose from for the perfect fit.