48 Hours Adventuring Beneath the Tetons
- February 11, 2019
- 0 Comment(s)
The window doesn’t allow much of a view, at least not from my vantage point. Neck strains awkwardly and I try to catch as much of the sight as I can without invading the personal space of the man sitting next to me. My pre-selected preference for an aisle seat on the airline website always seems to win out and I forget that the short connection, the quick hop, skip and jump onto the valley floor from Salt Lake is worth feeling a little more cramped for a decent view from the window seat.
When the plane banks left to settle into the descent, I only catch the giant’s mid-section. The lower reaches of the Grand Tetons, still unrealistic in its scope, at least to a New Englander. For as many times I’ve had the opportunity to visit Jackson, Wyoming, where the jagged peaks reach against a (nearly always) stark blue big sky, the sight never get’s stale.
Jackson Hole is a small town tucked in among some of the West’s most iconic peaks, the Teton and Gros Ventre Mountain ranges, in Wyoming near the Idaho border. Depending on your scope, it’s a small city or large town which mixes wildness of place with refined grace and culture, a perfect blend of home cooked grits served with a Michelin ranked steak and it is always on my short list for recommendation to friends when they’re looking to travel.
When you’re looking to book your next On-The-Go adventure, consider Jackson Hole. Here’s our guide to 48 Hours of Adventuring Beneath the Tetons.
Day One: Rise & Shine
- Rise and Shine to a Crisp, Clear Fall Morning
- Head to Persephone Bakery in the Town of Jackson to Fuel on Coffee and Local Fare
- Drive Over Iconic Teton Pass (more on that later)
- Arrive at the Upper Teton River and Gear Up for a Day on the Water
- Quick Midday Refuel After Taking the Boat Out
- Enjoy an Afternoon of Wading Along the Upper Teton
- Load up the Rig and Head Back to Jackson
- Visit the Knowledgeable Team at JD High Country Outfitters to Stock Up on the Latest Gear
- Stroll Historic Downtown Jackson, WY
- Meet the Team at Sweet Cheeks Meats and Select a Pristine Cut of Local Beef for the Evening Grill – “Ranch to Table”
- Plan the Next Day’s Adventures in the Mountains
Day Two: Set Your Sights…
- Roll Out of the Driveway Before the Sun Comes Up – ”Watch Out for Moose Sleeping in the Bushes!”
- Sunrise Coffee Atop Teton Pass
- Drive to the Nearby Trail Head for a Day of Fall Hiking in the Bridger-Teton National Forest Teton Pass Trail Network
- Climb into the Hills Amidst the Changing Leaves and Wildlife Stocking up for the Winter
- Head Back down Teton Pass Before the Sun Goes Down – Scoping Lines for Next Fall’s Hunting Trip
- Make a Quick Pitstop at the Iconic Stagecoach Bar in Wilson, WY for a Round of Local Beers with the Crew
- Swing through Nearby Jackson Hole Mountain Resort for an Off-Season Deal on Food and Lodging